Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Treasures from my weekend in Idaho!


I left Alaska for a few days to visit my son in Idaho.
I was on my way to watch him run at a track meet 
at the University of Washington when I noticed a sign that said,

 "Estate Sale"

Since I was early and almost at the University 
I decided to stop and see what they had for sale.

This is where I found
"Deary Dot and the Squee"
A really sweet children's book that caught my eye.
I love all the illustrations! 
It's super cute!  
I examined it a little closer after I bought it for 2 dollars and found out 
that its a first edition that was printed in 1916.

I was thinking maybe it would make great framed pictures...
but then I found out it is really rare...
so I will have to keep it intact.



The book has a great little story that's 
written in a poem style.



So what's a Squee?  It turns out to be a green underwater monster 
that wants to have the little girl for dinner!!
She of course gets away with the help of a flying fish.



I found this Alaskan license plate at the estate sale.
Why buy a license plate?  Well, this one has extra special
meaning to it.  You see 1964 was the year of one of  what many long time Alaskans refer to as the "Good Friday Earthquake"  I was a small child living in Anchorage when that quake struck.  I will never
forget that day.  That was one of the longest days of my life.
I am very thankful that I didn't want a Easter Dress!  My mother wanted to buy me a new dress, but
I said I didn't need one.  Since then I have never wanted a Easter dress.  The Penny's building was
totally destroyed and part of girls children section fell into the street.
We had after shocks all night long...it was just like being in a boat out at sea.  
Memories
come in all sizes and shapes
like this 
license plate :o)



Another little treasure I found at an antique store was this little duck shaped bowl.



And a tiny paper box.  Even though it's stained I still love it.
One can always find a way to use a little box.


A soft blue bowl....no second thoughts on this....
it will make a great soap dish.




4 comments:

  1. Hello my dear,

    this are very wonderful items and I love them all. The old book has so nice illustrations in such a cute way, the soft blue bowl is absolutely nice and the duck bowl with the little flowers too. The paper box - oh I love these boxes and tins so much.
    I´m waiting that our fleamarkets begin again and in two weeks I will drive to france to a big antique market. But I was warned that it is very expensive there. We will see ...

    Nice time in Idaho! Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total score Momma you hit the jackpot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deary dot and the squee was my wife's bedtime story that her grandmother use to tell her. She now tells it to our son, but she thinks she is missing a few of the verses. Is there any way possible that you might be able to type it out and email it to me? She want to be able to fill in the blanks when she tells it to our son. I have searched all over the internet, but i keep coming up empty handed. My email is boogermansdaddy@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deary dot and the squee was my wife's bedtime story that her grandmother use to tell her. She now tells it to our son, but she thinks she is missing a few of the verses. Is there any way possible that you might be able to type it out and email it to me? She want to be able to fill in the blanks when she tells it to our son. I have searched all over the internet, but i keep coming up empty handed. My email is boogermansdaddy@gmail.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete